Here are some shows in Sacramento I recommend seeing:
- FINAL WEEKEND: Bat Boy: The Musical at Sacramento State. I wrote a review on my blog here. Amanda Morish and Peter J. Carroll are great, and you can get tickets for as cheap as $5 this weekend.
- I Am My Own Wife at B Street Theatre (closes 11/7). Bee critic Marcus Crowder calls it a "riveting production" with an "astonishing performance by Greg Alexander" and I totally agree.
- tick, tick... BOOM! at New Helvetia Theatre (through 11/14). A great production of Jonathan Larson's pre-Rent musical. Patti Roberts in the News & Review says it has a "winning combination of a superbly talented cast, a strong and inventive directing team, and a first-rate live cabaret band. [full disclosure: I helped with publicity for this show and took their press photos]
Upcoming (shows I'm planning on seeing):
- Capital Stage's Speech & Debate (through 11/8)
- New interns have arrived at the B Street Theatre, so I plan on checking out their weekly Wednesday post-show performances, which I blogged about previously here because I believe it's Sacramento's best theatre bargain. These performances should resume 11/11, but call the B Street box office at (916) 443-5300 to confirm.
- Broadway Sacramento presents Spring Awakening (11/4 through 11/15). I mentioned this on Facebook and Twitter, since I know almost nothing about the show. Consensus was, "go see it!" so I am.... here's a promo video for the show:
Also, for one of the best online guides to what's playing in town, check out Sacramento365.com.